6 servings; (With chicken broth) 99 Calories, 2g Fat, 4g Protein, 18g Carbohydrate, 1060mg Sodium
1/2 c onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
20 oz chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 c water
6 ozs tomato paste
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
15 ozs mixed vegetables, canned and drained
1/2 c elbow macaroni, uncooked
1. Put onions and garlic in a medium pot and cook until tender.
2. Add broth, water, tomato paste, seasoning, and black pepper to the onions and garlic. Stir and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook for ten minutes.
4. Add mixed vegetables and macaroni. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook ten minutes, or until macaroni is done.
Vegetables N’ Chili
Servings: 8, Calories: 24, Fat: 2
1 lb ground chicken breast, skinless
1/2 c onions, chopped
1/2 c bell peppers, chopped
3 c water
15 ozs tomato sauce
15 ozs stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 c canned mixed vegetables, drained
1 c alphabet pasta, uncooked
In a large saucepan, combine chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink. Add water, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chili comes to a boil. Add mixed vegetables and pasta. Reduce heat to medium low. Continue cooking, stirring often, until flavors are blended, 20 minutes.
Mexican Beans and Rice
Servings: 6, Calories: 206, Fat: 1g, Protien: 6g, Carbohydrates: 41
1 c long-grain white rice - uncooked
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 c onions - chopped
1 c celery - sliced
1 clove garlic - minced
15 ozs pinto beans, canned - drained and washed
8 ozs no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 c water
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
Cook rice according to package directions. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add pinto beans, tomato sauce, water, ketchup, chili powder, and hot pepper sauce. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.
Asian Stir Fry
Servings: 6, Calories: 153, Fat: 2.5g, Protien: 6g, Carbohydrates: 41
3/4 lb salad shrimp, thawed
3 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c onion, sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tb canola oil
1-1/2 c snow peas
1-1/2 c red pepper, chopped
1-1/2 c carrots, chopped
1-1/2 c brocolli, chopped
2 Tb vegetable broth
1 Tb lemon juice
1. Place drained shrimp in a bowl. Add salt and cayenne to shrimp. Toss well.
2. Heat oil in a wok on high.
3. Sauté shrimp stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
4. Place sautéed shrimp back into the bowl leaving the liquids in the wok.
5. Combine the onions and garlic in the wok and sauté, about 3 minutes.
6. Add peas, vegetables and broth to the wok.
7. Reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
8. Return shrimp to wok, add lemon juice and cook for 1 more minute.
Chocolate Craving Fixers
Calories: 12, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 0g, Fat: 0g
A box of Chocolate pudding mix
2 cups of cold water
Mix pudding with water (rather than milk). Pour into ice cube tray and freeze.Make 14 cubes.
Calories: 25, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 1g
2 egg whites
2 packets Sweet N Low
2 tbsp bakers cocoa powder
Add sweetener to egg whites and beat them on high speed until stiff peaks form. (When you lift some up with a spoon, it forms a little stiff peak, not a soft peak that falls back down.) With a spoon, gently blend in cocoa powder, taking care not to break down the foam by stirring too much. Divide the foam into 12 cookie sized lumps on a non stick cookie sheet and cook on 350 until lightly browned. Use only Sweet ‘N’ Low. It helps the meringue stay fluffy. Makes 4 servings.
Servings: 8 (1/2 cup) servings, Calories: 83, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 0g
2 c watermelon, cubed and seeded
1/2 c sugar
1 envelope gelatin, unflavored
1/3 c cranberry juice cocktail
1. Place watermelon in a blender or food processor.
2. Cover and blend until smooth.
3. Stir in sugar.
4. In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and cranberry juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Stir mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.
6. Pour and stir the gelatin mixture into the melon mixture.
7. Pour into an 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
8. Break up frozen mixture and place in a chilled mixer bowl.
9. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed or until mixture is fluffy.
10. Return to pan. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
Chocolate Rice Crispy Balls
Serves: 5, Calories per serving: 30
-1 tablespoon diet margarine
-2 &1/2 tablespoons non fat dry milk
-1 &1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
-2 tablespoons artificial sweetener
-4 teaspoons Evaporated non-fat milk
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla
-3 tablespoons Rice Krispies
-Mix margarine and milk powder until crumbly. Add cocoa and artificial sweetener.
-Mix until blended.
-Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Mix until almost smooth and sticky.
-Remove from bowl and mix in Rice Krispies with hands.
-Continue mixing with hands until smooth and shiny.
-Roll into 5 balls.
-Wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill.
Lemon Polenta Cake
Serves: 6, Calories per serving: 75
Low fat cooking spray
2oz/ 50g polenta (ordinary or quick-cook)
2oz/ 50g plain flour
3/4tsp baking powder
1 large egg, plus 1 1/2 egg whites
3oz caster sugar
grated zest & juice of 2 lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2oz 100ml low fat plain yoghurt
Preheat oven to 180c/ 350f. Spray small sandwich tin with a little low fat cooking spray, then dust the tin with a little polenta.
Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl, then stir in all of the remaining polenta.
In a separate bowl, whisk the whole egg, egg whites and caster sugar together until pale and thick
Add the polenta mixture, lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract and yogurt. Carefully fold in using a large metal spoon.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 min.
Turn out onto a cooling rack, and allow to cool.
This cake is *delicious* - it is lovely served with some raspberries, crème farouche or even some strawberries. It really does taste delicious - it’s light, but somehow manages to taste quite rich.
No Fat Brownies
Serving Size: 8, Calories: 95
2/3 cup canned apple (substitute with unsweetened applesauce)
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup sugar
½ cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ cup cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Spray a square non-stick baking pan (8 inch x 8 inch) with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, blend well. Pour batter into pan and bake 20-30 minutes until cooked. To test if batter is cooked, insert a toothpick. If it comes out clean, brownie is cooked
Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes in pan.
Gently remove from pan; place on wire rack and when cool, sprinkle with icing sugar if desired. Cut into eight squares. Enjoy!